The Taraba State Taskforce on Anti-Illegal Mining has returned more than 100 heavy-duty machines seized from mining sites to their owners, following weeks of enforcement operations aimed at curbing illegal mining activities across the state.
The equipment was released on Monday at Mayo Kam in Bali Local Government Area of Taraba State, where the machines had been impounded after being evacuated from various mining locations.
The owners were allowed to reclaim the equipment after fulfilling conditions set by the taskforce, including the provision of valid guarantors to ensure compliance with mining regulations.
The development signals what appears to be a shift in the taskforce’s enforcement strategy—from outright confiscation of mining equipment towards a structured approach that combines enforcement with accountability and regulatory compliance.
A source within the taskforce said the decision was not designed to cripple legitimate businesses or drive mining operators out of the state, but to compel them to operate within the legal framework governing mining activities.
“This is not about crippling businesses but about ensuring that operators adhere to legal frameworks,” the source said.
The taskforce, led by Emmanuel Lyon, however, warned that the return of the machines did not amount to a relaxation of its enforcement campaign.
According to the leadership, operators who had their equipment returned would be expected to comply strictly with all regulatory requirements and conduct their mining activities within the ambit of the law.
The taskforce stressed that mining operators must obtain the necessary approvals and observe applicable regulations, warning that equipment could again be impounded if owners returned to illegal operations.
The release of the machines followed weeks of enforcement activities in mining communities across the area, during which heavy-duty equipment used in suspected illegal mining operations was evacuated and moved to Mayo Kam for further action.
The operations were aimed at restoring order to mining activities, curbing environmental degradation and ensuring that mining operations in Taraba are conducted responsibly.
Following Monday’s exercise, the affected miners reportedly departed Mayo Kam for their respective states of origin after receiving their equipment.
The taskforce reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining enforcement operations across the state, while stressing that its broader objective is to promote a lawful, responsible and properly regulated mining industry in Taraba.
The latest development therefore presents a delicate balance between enforcement and economic activity, as the state government seeks to clamp down on illegal mining without unnecessarily disrupting operators willing to comply with established regulations.

