Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has assured residents of Maiduguri and nearby communities that there is no immediate danger of flooding from the Alau Dam, despite rising water levels caused by recent heavy rainfall.
The governor gave the assurance on Saturday while inspecting the ongoing reconstruction work at the dam, located on the outskirts of the state capital. His visit came amid growing concerns from residents over possible flooding in the area.
Addressing reporters during the inspection, Governor Zulum said current assessments conducted by engineers have shown that there is no cause for panic.
“As of now, based on the engineering knowledge we have, we have concluded that there is no cause for alarm,” Zulum said.
He explained that water diversion channels had been opened, significantly improving the outflow from the dam. According to him, the water level had dropped by approximately four inches in recent days and was expected to continue falling.
While urging the public to remain calm, the governor emphasized the importance of continued vigilance and monitoring.
“Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow, but we are working. The contractor is doing a good job, and we will keep monitoring the situation,” he said.
Governor Zulum also warned residents against indiscriminate dumping of waste into drainage systems and called on those living in flood-prone areas to avoid building on waterways.
“I want to warn the people of this state to desist from building on waterways and to be very cautious,” he said. “If you have a drainage in front of your house, you must make sure it is clean at all times.”
He added that the state government would review the Maiduguri master plan to identify and correct distortions that obstruct the natural flow of water.
“We must go back to the drawing board and look at the master plan. All tributaries and waterways must be cleared to allow proper inflow into the main canal,” the governor said. “We must also enforce environmental standards, even if it’s painful—there is no other option.”
On the delay in completing the reconstruction work at the Alau Dam, Zulum attributed it to technical and procedural issues but confirmed that the contractors were now fully mobilized and work had resumed in earnest.
He thanked President Bola Tinubu for approving N80 billion for the project, which is seen as vital for flood control, improved water supply, and agricultural development across Borno State.

