Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, has approved N2.65 billion to settle the 2026 scholarship obligations of 158 indigenes of the state studying in China, Malaysia, India and Egypt.
Zulum also announced a 100 per cent increase in local scholarships for Borno indigenes, directing the Commissioner for Education and the State Scholarship Board to immediately implement the new rates.
The governor made the announcement on Wednesday during a homecoming ceremony for 294 Borno beneficiaries of foreign scholarship programmes who had completed their studies in universities in China, India, Egypt and Malaysia.
He said his administration had invested N12.64 billion in scholarship programmes since 2023, with N8.61 billion spent on foreign scholarships, N3.84 billion on local scholarships and N196.31 million on administrative support.
Zulum described the investment as a major commitment to education and human capital development, stressing that equipping young people with knowledge and skills remained critical to addressing poverty and conflict.
“It is in pursuit of this vision that, since 2023, this administration has invested a total of N12,644,034,368.96 in scholarships for the sons and daughters of Borno State,” he said.
The governor said the newly approved N2.65 billion would also cover 54 beneficiaries under the state’s aviation scholarship programme, which is currently under review.
He reaffirmed that the scholarship programme would remain merit-based, noting that beneficiaries had recorded impressive academic performances in their respective institutions abroad.
Zulum also directed the Scholarship Board to open applications for 220 academic staff of the University of Maiduguri seeking local and foreign postgraduate scholarships.
He added that requests for sponsorship from professionals in the Humanities and Arts were receiving government attention, while reaffirming the state’s commitment to sponsoring indigenous law graduates through law schools across Nigeria.
The governor urged returning graduates to regard the scholarships as public investments and reciprocate the gesture through meaningful service and contributions to the development of their communities.
He said the state’s 25-Year Development Plan was anchored on building an equitable society where citizens, regardless of their backgrounds, would have access to quality education and essential services.
Earlier, the Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Investment, Engr. Lawan Abba Wakilbe, said the 294 beneficiaries were studying medicine, engineering and other science, technology, engineering and mathematics-related courses across institutions in Asia and North Africa.
Wakilbe said more than N8 billion had been invested in the foreign scholarship programme since 2023, covering tuition, accommodation, feeding, monthly stipends, airfares, travel documentation and other academic expenses.
He disclosed that 171 postgraduate scholars had been trained in two universities in India and five universities in Malaysia at a cost of N3.233 billion.
According to him, the postgraduate beneficiaries are expected to strengthen the academic manpower of tertiary institutions in Borno upon completion of their studies.
The commissioner said 16 of the postgraduate scholars graduated with distinctions and other academic honours.
He also presented 104 undergraduate students, comprising 53 medical and 51 engineering students currently studying in six institutions in China.
Wakilbe said the students were expected to contribute to the state’s healthcare and infrastructure sectors, particularly by providing skilled manpower for the newly established Kashim Ibrahim Teaching Hospital.
He added that the beneficiaries had received their tuition fees and monthly stipends promptly since 2023, with monthly stipends ranging from $150 to $200.
Also speaking, the Executive Secretary of the Borno State Scholarship Board, Dr. Bala Isa, said the programme initially commenced with 301 scholars.
He explained that one beneficiary died, two withdrew due to ill health, one transferred, while three others withdrew from the programme, bringing the number of active beneficiaries to 294.
Zulum assured residents that his administration would sustain investments in human capital development, saying the state would continue to create opportunities that reward excellence, promote learning and prepare young people for leadership and development.

