The Plateau state government has disclosed that suspected cholera cases in the state have risen from 441 to 537, with 517 patients successfully treated and discharged.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Nicholas Ba’amlong, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing journalists at his office at the J.D. Gomwalk Secretariat in Jos on the latest development concerning the outbreak.
Ba’amlong said the state had recorded three additional deaths since the last update, bringing the total number of deaths linked to the outbreak to 17.
He explained that three patients were currently receiving treatment in health facilities, while laboratory investigations had confirmed six cases through culture and 26 through rapid diagnostic testing.
According to the commissioner, Jos North is currently the only local government area with active cholera cases on admission, with three patients undergoing treatment.
He said other affected local government areas, including Mangu, Barkin Ladi and Jos South, had been successfully managed, with no patients currently admitted in those areas.
Ba’amlong attributed the progress to coordinated efforts by the Plateau State Government, health workers, surveillance teams and development partners, stressing that the government remained committed to strengthening public health emergency preparedness and response.
He said the state was implementing a range of measures to contain the outbreak, including intensified surveillance, public health education, case management and environmental sanitation.
The commissioner disclosed that surveillance officers across the 17 local government areas had been placed on active alert to ensure prompt detection and response to suspected cases.
He added that the government was collaborating with relevant ministries and development partners, particularly the Ministry of Environment, to address sanitation and environmental challenges that could facilitate the spread of cholera.
Ba’amlong further revealed that the government, in partnership with the SURWASH programme, had distributed chlorine to households, particularly in communities where water sources had been identified as a concern.
He explained that the intervention was aimed at enabling residents to treat their water and make it safe for drinking and other domestic purposes.
The commissioner urged residents to maintain proper personal and environmental hygiene, particularly regular handwashing after using the toilet and before handling food.
He also advised residents to ensure that food was properly cooked and that their surroundings and toilets were kept clean.
Ba’amlong urged anyone experiencing symptoms associated with cholera, especially frequent diarrhoea and vomiting, to seek medical attention immediately.
He noted that early presentation at health facilities would allow for prompt treatment, testing and improved chances of recovery.
The commissioner assured residents that the government would sustain and intensify its interventions to prevent further spread of the disease.
He commended the Plateau State Governor, Barr. Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang, for his support towards strengthening the state’s public health emergency response.
He also appreciated development partners, including the World Health Organization, UNICEF and other stakeholders, for their continued support in containing the outbreak.
Ba’amlong urged residents to remain calm, cooperate with health authorities and adhere strictly to recommended preventive measures as the government continues to monitor the situation.

